|“||There's always good things when times are bad, [but if] you only look at the bad things, you get hung up. I think sometimes it's good to just step away for a second, look at the positive things and all the good things we have.||”|
Early life Edit
Zaslavski was born in Saratov, Russia, to Igor and Marina Zaslavski, both of whom have musical backgrounds. At the age of four, he began to play the piano, gradually building up his knowledge of music throughout his childhood years. When he was twelve, Zaslavski first learned to play the drums; soon after, he began to perform with Dioramic, a post-hardcore/metal band, and started composing songs in their studio.
A few months after beginning his work, Zedd won two remix contests—the "Armand Van Helden / Strictly Rhythm Remix Contest" and the "Fatboy Slim / Skint Remix Contest". After being found by Skrillex via MySpace, he was signed to an OWSLA label; soon after, he caught the attention of Interscope A&R Dave Rene and Interscope Geffen A&M Chairman Jimmy Iovine. Later, he released several official remixes for artists like Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, P. Diddy, Swedish House Mafia, and Skrillex on labels such as Interscope, mau5trap and EMI.
On 24 July, he released a remix of FLX's "I Feel Untouched".
On 18 October, Zedd's remix of Dan Thomas and MAB's "This Year" was released onto Beatport. Four days later, on 22 October, his remix of Skrillex's "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" was also released.
On 3 December, his remix of David May's "Facebook Love" was released as well.
On 11 February, Zedd released The Anthem—his first extended play.
Almost a month and a half later, on 28 March, Autonomy was released.
American progressive metal band Periphery released an extended play featuring a Zedd remix of their song "Icarus Lives!" on 19 April.
Zedd's remix of Lady Gaga's track "Born This Way" appeared on the special edition of her third studio album, Born This Way. In September, his single "Shave It" premiered as a thirty second teaser on Skrillex's YouTube page, this being Zedd's first release on OWSLA records.
On 8 November, Shave It - The Aftershave was released.
Zedd's "Spectrum" extended play was released on 31 July.He signed with Interscope Records and released his debut studio album, Clarity, in October. The album's first single, "Spectrum", featuring Cherrytree Records recording artist Matthew Koma, peaked at #1 on the Billboard Dance Club Song chart and ultimately was named their Dance Club Song of the year. iTunes also named the Clarity album as their Breakthrough Album of 2012. Later in October, Zedd and Porter Robinson embarked on Poseidon - The Back to Back Tour, during which "Spectrum" was a featured track.
During the year, Zedd also produced the Eva Simons song "I Don't Like You"—which was also released on Interscope—and produced and co-wrote the third single, "Beauty and a Beat", for Canadian singer Justin Bieber's third studio album, Believe, with Max Martin.
Zedd produced three songs—"Aura", "G.U.Y.", and "Donatella"—from Lady Gaga's album Artpop (as well as two other songs—"Onion Girl" and "Temple"—that did not make the final cut) and also "Heaven" from Namie Amuro's album Feel.
On 3 January, Zedd and Foxes performed "Clarity" on Late Show With David Letterman.
Clarity (Remixes) was released on 12 February.
On 21 June, he performed "Clarity" alongside Foxes and The Roots on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. On 29 June, deadmau5 posted a tweet on Twitter describing a dream he once had involving Zedd, giving rise to the annual #zeddception Twitter trend.On 23 August, "Into the Lair"—an instrumental composition produced exclusively for the soundtrack for the film adaptation of American author Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones—was released. Throughout the rest of the year (beginning 26 August), Zedd embarked on the Moment of Clarity Tour, covering various countries across five different continents.
2014 EditOn 26 January, he released the single "Find You", which features Matthew Koma and Miriam Bryant and is included on the soundtrack for the first film adaptation of American author Veronica Roth's best-selling young-adult novel trilogy Divergent. That same day, "Clarity" won a GRAMMY Award for "Best Dance Recording" at the 56th annual GRAMMY Awards.
Zedd, Koma, and Bryant performed "Find You" live on the outdoor stage of Jimmy Kimmel Live! on 3 February.
On March 28, he performed at the year's Ultra Music Festival as part of "Phase One" of its lineup.
Ariana Grande released a song with him entitled "Break Free" on July 3, which peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 and No. 1 on the Hot Dance/Electronic Songs. The song, which also appears on My Everything—Grande's second studio album—was nominated at the Teen Choice Awards in the category of "Break-Up Song" as well.
On 2 August, Zedd remixed "Rude"—a single by Canadian reggae fusion band Magic!—at Lollapalooza. Twenty-two days later, on 24 August, he took part in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, nominating Grande, Jared Leto, and Ken Floyd to take part in it as well.
Beginning 18 March and ending exactly two months later, the Zedd True Colors Experience event series took place in ten different cities across the United States in order to premiere songs from Zedd's second album, True Colors, to select fans.On 18 May—the day of the last Experience—True Colors was released. Three days later, Zedd performed the album's second single—"Beautiful Now"—with Jon Bellion on Jimmy Kimmel Live!
On 10 June, Zedd became the first electronic musician ever to perform at the CMT Music Awards, performing alongside Lady Antebellum. On 21 June, he performed "Illusion" alongside Sydney Sierota of Echosmith at a Firefly set. On the last day of the month, he posted a three-minute fifty-second instrumental song demo onto iTunes, along with a note saying that he wanted fans to help him find a vocal for the track.
Beautiful Now (Remixes) was released onto iTunes on 10 July.
In August, Zedd embarked on his True Colors Tour.
Zedd performed on the main stage at the 2016 Ultra Music Festival on 20 March.
On 9 and 10 December, he will perform at the 2016 Djakarta Warehouse Project festival in Jakarta, Indonesia.
After taking a break from making music, he released a single with Alessia Cara entitled "Stay". The music video was later released on the 18th of April.
Zedd created headphones called "Double Zero", which was released on April 19. You can purchase you own pair for around $200. These headphones were created in Japan so in May, Zedd and is team traveled to Japan to promote his headphones. He had also opened up a pop-up shop in Japan for a few days for his fans in Japan.
Zedd was given the chance to preform at Wembley Stadium in June.
On June 19, Zedd announced on Instagram about his fall headline tour, the "ECHO TOUR", with Grey and Lophille. Throughout September to November, he toured around the North American tour dates.
On July 6th, Zedd released his single with Liam Payne entitled "Get Low".
- Main article: Skrillex
- Main article: Madeon
- Main article: Selena Gomez#Relationship
Awards and NominationsEdit
|2013||Popdust||Zedd||Next Pop Superstar of 2013||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Awards||"Clarity" (feat. Foxes)||Artist To Watch||Nominated|
|American Music Awards||Zedd||Favorite Electronic Music Artist||Nominated|
|2014||Grammy Awards||"Clarity" (feat. Foxes)||Best Dance Recording||Won|
|iHeartRadio Music Awards||"Clarity"||EDM Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Billboard Music Awards||Zedd||Top Dance/Electronic Artist||Nominated|
|"Clarity"||Top Dance/Electronic Song||Nominated|
|Clarity||Top Dance/Electronic Album||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Zedd||Choice Music – Electronic Dance Music Artist||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Awards||"Stay the Night"||MTV Clubland Award||Won|
|MTV Europe Music Awards||Zedd||Best Push Act||Nominated|
- Both of Zedd's parents are Russian, though his surname—Zaslavski—is Polish.
- He doesn't have a middle name.
- In an interview, Zedd revealed that he writes most of his songs on a piano before producing them.
- He creates his music using the Cubase suite of music production applications, and uses plug-ins such as the Sylenth1, Nexus, SynthMaster 2.6, and Omnisphere synthesizers, and the Kontakt sampler.
- During his school years, he had a friend who shared his real first name. To avoid confusion, they'd begun referring to each other by the first letter of their respective surnames.
- His least-liked subject in school was French.
- Zedd has stated before that his fanbase does not have a name.
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Zedd
- Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/zedd
- SoundCloud - https://www.soundcloud.com/Zedd
- Twitter - https://twitter.com/Zedd
- VEVO - https://www.youtube.com/user/ZEDDVEVO
- Website - https://www.zedd.net
- ↑ Bein, Kat (November 23, 2016). "Zedd Will Stay in U.S. Despite Trump Victory & Spread Positivity Through Music: 'No Minor Chords Anymore'". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/dance/7587962/zedd-donald-trump-election-2016. Retrieved December 3, 2016.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Zedd - Moment of Clarity (Documentary)". YouTube. ZEDDVEVO. 21 December 2014. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2AjlTLdU1M. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "Zedd's official website". http://www.zedd.net. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- ↑ "An Early Christmas Gift! An Interview With Zedd. « 310 Electro". 310electro.com. http://www.310electro.com/2010/12/an-early-christmas-gift-an-interview-with-zedd/. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- ↑ Zaslavski, Anton (24 July 2011). "BOOM! My Remix for Swedish House Mafia's "SAVE THE WORLD" has just been released on Beatport!!!!". Facebook. Zedd. https://www.facebook.com/Zedd/posts/142089122538992. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- ↑ Daw, Robbie (21 October 2011). "Lady Gaga’s "Born This Way: The Remix" & "The Collection" Covers Revealed". Idolator. http://www.idolator.com/6051871/lady-gagas-born-this-way-the-remix-the-collection-cover. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- ↑ Zaslavski, Anton (15 December 2012). "OMG!!!!! Just read that iTunes picked CLARITY as their "Breakthrough Album" of 2012!!! WAAAAAHH!!!!!!!!!". Facebook. Zedd. https://www.facebook.com/Zedd/photos/a.112537822109186.13011.107281645968137/544044182291879/. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- ↑ Vena, Jocelyn (17 October 2012). "Justin Bieber Didn't "Convince" "Beauty And A Beat" Producer Zedd At First". MTV. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1695750/justin-bieber-zedd-beauty-beat.jhtml. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- ↑ Vena, Jocelyn (22 January 2013). "Lady Gaga Has "A Lot Of Work Left" On ARTPOP Songs". http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1700630/lady-gaga-zedd-artpop-album-update.jhtml. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- ↑ St. Michel, Patrick (14 August 2013). "Namie Amuro "Feel"". The Japan Times. http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2013/08/14/music/cd-reviews/namie-amuro-feel/. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- ↑ Zaslavski, Anton (4 January 2013). "Thanks everyone who watched me on Letterman last night so late!! I can't believe we did this!!!!!!! Crazy!!!!! In case you missed it; here you can re-watch my live performance of Clarity on Letterman!!". Facebook. Zedd. https://www.facebook.com/Zedd/posts/190961217714099. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- ↑ Zaslavski, Anton (20 June 2013). "Soooo happy I was given the unique opportunity to perform this live version of Clarity with Foxes and The Roots last night!!! You can re-watch it here.... PS: there's little surprise at the end!!". Facebook. Zedd. https://www.facebook.com/Zedd/posts/642737095755920. Retrieved 22 May 2015.
- ↑ Zaslavski, Anton (23 August 2013). "INTO THE LAIR, the song I made for the movie "The Mortal Instruments" is OUT NOW!!! Grab it here". Facebook. Zedd. https://www.facebook.com/Zedd/posts/675896619106634.
- ↑ Zaslavski, Anton (11 September 2013). "#8 on iTunes after 1 day... Absolutely unreal!!!! Don't know how to thank you guys for the support!!! This means so much to me and Hayley!! In case you haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, you can download it here: http://smarturl.it/StayTheNightiTunes". Facebook. Zedd. https://www.facebook.com/Zedd/photos/a.112537822109186.13011.107281645968137/686373221392307/. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- ↑ Zaslavski, Anton (22 December 2013). "Full version of the Stay The Night remix I made with KDrew is now up on my YouTube. Enjoy your holidays, everyone!!!!". Facebook. Zedd. https://www.facebook.com/Zedd/posts/750937798269182. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- ↑ Rigby, Sam (18 March 2014). "Zedd premieres Divergent music video for "Find You" - watch". DigitalSpy. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a558392/zedd-premieres-divergent-music-video-for-find-you-watch.html. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- ↑ Erlich, Brenna (14 April 2014). "Ellie Goulding And Zedd’s ‘Divergent’ Performance Had Us Reaching For Tissues". MTV. http://www.mtv.com/news/1726067/ellie-goulding-zedd-movie-awards-performance/. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- ↑ Salerno, Mandi (17 July 2014). "2014 Teen Choice Awards Nominees Announced". Popcrush. http://popcrush.com/2014-teen-choice-awards-nominees/. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- ↑ "Zedd Ice Bucket Challenge". YouTube. ZEDDVEVO. 24 August 2014. https://youtu.be/cQS9fUu5ZEM. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- ↑ Zaslavski, Anton (May 21, 2015). "Performing on Jimmy Kimmel Live tonight!!! Tune in :)!!". Twitter. @Zedd. https://twitter.com/Zedd/status/601527210722201600. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- ↑ "Zedd to Be The First Electronic Performer at CMT Music Awards". EDM Sauce. 8 June 2015. http://www.edmsauce.com/2015/06/08/zedd-to-be-the-first-electronic-performer-at-cmt-music-awards/. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- ↑ "Had a lot of fun singing "Illusion" last night @Zedd". Twitter. @echosmith. June 20, 2015. https://twitter.com/echosmith/status/612270543484637184. Retrieved June 20, 2015.
- ↑ "GUYS!!! Here is a track demo I’ve produced that I LOVE but never finished. I haven’t been able to find the perfect vocal and I want your help!! Send me your ideas to: ConnectWithZedd@zedd.net!! Let’s Connect!!!! :) – Anton". iTunes (US). 30 June 2015. https://itunes.apple.com/us/post/idsa.92f9e968-1f73-11e5-b1fd-8ce37b3c0a50. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- ↑ "Lineup - Ultra Music Festival". Ultra Music Festival. https://ultramusicfestival.com/lineup/. Retrieved February 28, 2016.
- ↑ "Coffee Run! ft. Zedd". YouTube. 13 May 2015. https://youtu.be/-Khzxke-i8M. Retrieved 1 March 2015. "The name is Polish; my parents are from Russia..."
- ↑ "Definition of "zed" - British English Dictionary". Cambridge Dictionaries Online. http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/zed. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- ↑ "Coffee Run! ft. Zedd". YouTube. 13 May 2015. https://youtu.be/-Khzxke-i8M. Retrieved 1 March 2015. "The first letter of my last name is a zed."
- ↑ Zaslavski, Anton (4 October 2015). "@_RebecaQuinn I don't have a middle name lol". Twitter. @Zedd. https://twitter.com/Zedd/status/650783082728042497. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- ↑ Carley, Brennan (15 May 2015). "Q&A: Zedd Adjusts to the Limelight and Gets Back to His Roots on ‘True Colors’". SPIN. http://www.spin.com/2015/05/zedd-true-colors-interview-new-album/. Retrieved 28 June 2015.
- ↑ Abascal, Lina (1 December 2012). "In The Studio With Zedd: Going for Clarity". DJ Times. http://djtimes.com/in-the-studio-with-zedd-going-for-clarity/. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- ↑ O'Malley Greenburg, Zack (14 August 2013). "Zedd Ahead: Meet The Next Big Star Of Electronic Music". Forbes. http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2013/08/14/zedd-ahead-meet-the-next-big-star-of-electronic-music/. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- ↑ VEVO (18 November 2015). "Zedd - ASK:REPLY". YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi59sg92sro. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- ↑ Zaslavski, Anton (3 December 2013). "@ahmadhugo my fanbase doesn't have a name. everyone has an individual name.". Twitter. @Zedd. https://twitter.com/Zedd/status/407806362165334016. Retrieved 8 March 2016.